Friday, November 12, 2010

Publishing Thoughts

I really like my story - everyone around me likes my story, but I know just because people like my story doesn't mean it's going to actually go anywhere. I want to make sure I have one or two copies of my own, If it doesn't fly, then it's no big deal, I'd just like to have a hard/printed copy.

This is where it gets interesting.

It would be fantastic if my book took off, and for some reason my boyfriend seems to think that it will. I however, know nothing about actually publishing books which is why there are self-publishing services, like lulu, for instance. With lulu though, it's also expensive to make the books and order them in bulk, we're talking hundreds of dollars for 50 22page full color books. Since it's a children's book it does actually have to be colored. I could look into their children's book package, but that starts at around $500 (also, I already know how I want it formatted and I already have an illustrator, so I wouldn't need half of their package).

The other thing is my timeline, and this is what's keeping me from asking publishers about my book. I want to have it completed by the end of the month. Most places take, well, significantly longer than that to start and finish the process.

Right now, it's looking like I'll just stick with lulu and work out their online services and print myself a copy and go from there. I'd like to figure out if I have any other options, but so far I haven't turned up anything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment