Sunday, October 31, 2010

Drafting

This evening I wrote another third of the rough draft. It's interesting copying scenes from my head where I imagine them and see them playing on the tv screen of my mind and trying to put those into words, simple(ish) words.  
I wrote a lot of dialogue in this section and I think I spent too much of that showing the main character decide on a particular action. I try and write dialogue in a believable and human way - i.e. the way people actually talk. I'm not sure yet how well that fits because it's a children's book (at the same time, not one of the Learn-To-Read styles) but I think people will get a lot more out of something that sounds real (yet simple) as opposed to something over-simplified. 

I have a conversation between the main character and her friend about contacting a reporter, I like how it shows the trying-to-decide-process, but I think I should make it shorter and well, naturally do some re-writes while still keeping the feel. 

"you know, several months ago a reporter left some information with me and I sort of blew it off and completely forgot about it. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just call and be like 'I use environmentally safe balloons!' do you think it's been too long?" asked Jane.

"No, you should definitely call. It could be really good. I don't think it's too late, they just did a story on it, remember?" encouraged her friend.

"Yeah, but, it was like seven months ago..." Jane protested, still weighing the options in her mind. 

So that is my current block. I'm actually semi-satisfied with the dialogue itself, I think I just need to not take up a whole scene on it (set up and everything). That's what editing is for.

No comments:

Post a Comment